Windows bashing was: Re: Voxin was: Re: Switching to Linux

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Sun May 12 04:33:23 EDT 2013

As I said, my experience with AVG was many years ago on Windows 98, so
perhaps some of the issues are fixed nowadays.  My machine didn't totally
lock up, but it was so slow that it might as well have.  I could just plan
on not having my machine for about 15 minutes and there seemed to be no
way to stop it.  I looked into it last year for my brother's Windows 7
notebook and it wasn't recommended.  Norton Internet Security and
Microsoft Security Essentials seemed to be the recommended options, so we
went with Norton because it's relatively cheap and the notebook is for
business.  AVG was not free for personal use as I recall, but after not
only my problems with it but reading about several other people having
problems and several months going by with no updates, I assumed it was
dead.  I thought I read that you had to pay some nominal fee even for
personal use, but that could be wrong.  I know that it isn't licensed for
a business which was the main concern.  I liked the looks of Nod32, but it
was too expensive compared to Norton and the other options.  As it turned
out, his Norton expired and he's onto something else anyway.  Avast now
seems to be the recommended personal free virus scanner.

On my machine here, I actually do have a virus scanner installed, but I
don't run it in the background.  It's called ClamWin and is the same as
clamav but for Windows.  It works well enough for me without constantly
running and eating up resources while still scanning downloads and zip
files.  I almost never open email attachments, so that isn't an issue here.