yasr and screen

pj at pjb.com.au pj at pjb.com.au
Fri May 10 21:43:27 EDT 2013

Greetings,

Kyle wrote:
> I did most things with a single text console that ran YASR
> automatically at login and did all my work in Screen,
> which allowed me to have a nearly unlimited number of "windows"
> open on a single console, all under a single YASR instance.

The combination of yasr and screen is a VERY good one,
because screen provides a really good cut-and-paste mechanism
which is the most important thing that yasr lacks.

> The trade-off is that you will get no speech prior to login,

If you are able to log in, you have dmesg and /var/log/messages,
and dmesg provides a record of things that happened long before
the speakup module gets loaded.

A big problem for installs is the BIOS;
that, I guess, needs a separate computer with camera and O C R ...
Perhaps the ideal solution would be to build speech into a
touchscreen monitor, and not into the operating system ?

My big problems with yasr are :

One: yasr can't use espeak except through emacspeak,
and I can't get emacspeak configured to use espeak properly
(it seems to use eflite commands even when talking to /usr/bin/espeak).
But my eflite chops off the last part of every word,
which makes a lot of things unrecognisable.

Two: I can't understand how keystrokes are specified in yasr.conf
for example, to me, 0x1b6c means Escape l, not alt-L

If I were rewriting yasr, I'd probably do it in perl or lua,
which would reduce the code-bulk by several times,
and make it more maintainable and portable.

Regards,  Peter Billam

P.S.  I am a long-time unix programmer, and still sighted,
though this is not improving, so I'm wanting to select a speaking interface
and learn it while it's still easy for me.

http://www.pjb.com.au      pj at pjb.com.au     (03) 6278 9410
"Follow the charge, not the particle."  --  Richard Feynman
 from The Theory of Positrons, Physical Review, 1949