future directions

Kirk Reiser kirk at reisers.ca
Fri May 10 13:11:44 EDT 2013

Hello everybody: I have gone through the messages that people have
posted to the list identifying the various bugs, changes and features
that speakup has or doesn't.

I haven't included the suggestions that William received from the
staging mailing list because those are more in the way of specifically
identified items needing resolution before speakup's inclusion in the
main line kernel code. Although they need to be addressed they don't
necessarily have to do with speakups future direction for development.

I include the list below and would appreciate it if folks would think
about topics or items I may have overlooked. If you would like to
volunteer to be involved with any of them specifically you can let us
know and I'll put you on that items list of interested parties.

Once everyone has some time to look the list over and make additions
or suggestions I will schedule a time to have a conference call and a
time to discuss these items on the irc channel. You can of course drop
by the #speakup channel just about any time to engage us in chat about
them.

They are in no particular order other than as I came across them in
peoples messages.

Outstanding speakup issues

Cut-and-paste hanging some systems when pasting. Typically happens
when pasting into an unbuffered situation such as cat >filename.

Softsynth device scrambles output occasionally on smp systems.

Serial devices are not being registered correctly.

Speakup direction issues

What to do about internal synths, ISA and PCI?

Shall serial synth support stay in the kernel or get moved to user
space?
Can serial support be moved to userspace without losing functionality
such as early boot and kernel messages?

What can be done to move speakup into initramfs?

What can be done about a personalized pronunciation dictionary?

Should speakup stay in kernel space or be rewritten to user space?
Adjunct: where does the standard console live?

Speakup needs screen scrollback support?

Speakup needs early kernel message support?

Speakup web pages need to be updated and fixed.

Speakup's install script is broken?

What is the upfi specification? Could it be used to provide earlier
speech output?

What about a feature to set configuration options based on the running
program.

--
Well that's it then, colour me gone!