Voxin was: Re: Switching to Linux

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Fri May 10 10:38:14 EDT 2013

I don't know all the extra debian packages voxxin  requires. It goes out
and installs them itself. IIRC, /dev/dsp is created by installing the
alsa-oss package. That may be one of the extra packages voxin requires.
I don't know.  All I had to do to install voxim was unzip it and run the
install script. When I restarted gdm, I went into orca preferences and
was able to configure orca to use voxin for the TTS.

I've had some minor problems since switching to voxin like having the
speech rate and the pitch get stuc at the wrong settings. Orca
identifies links in mail messages and web pages by slowing the speech
rate way down. And it identifies all caps by raising the pitch.
Sometimes those settings don't go back where they belong. I also
sometimes have to restart orca by pressing alt+f2 and typeing "orca
--replace". But that almost always works if orca crashes or gets messed
up somehow.

As I said, orca isn't anywhere near as stable as speakup. In fact, I'd
rate it behind jaws, voiceover, and even nvda. But even so, it's darn
good. Good enough for me to feel I can do my job with it approximately
as efficiently as I could with Windows. I'm a linux systems admin and
not using linux myself is kind of like cheating.  I'm finally using the
same OS that all my end users are using.