Speakup Issues

Gregory Nowak greg at gregn.net
Fri Mar 29 21:32:51 EDT 2013

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 04:59:24PM -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
> Another question is that we still have drivers for old internal ISA
> synthesizers, such as the doubletalk pc, dectalk pc, accent pc and
> keynote pc. Are these being used?

Yes, I still have an old box here with an isa slot with a doubletalk
pc. I mainly use it these days to access other linux boxes, because
I'm very fond of my doubletalk, and don't want to give it up if I
don't have to. I have nothing against espeak/espeakup, it's just that
hearing that "doubletalk pc found" message invariably brings a smile to my
face. Also, maybe it's my imagination, but that doubletalk pc on old
hardware seems to still be slightly more responsive than
espeak/espeakup on modern hardware. I have also idly toyed with the
idea of getting one of these:

http://www.arstech.com/item--usb2isa.html

and found myself wondering if speakup could be made to drive a doubletalk pc
through this converter.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn.net