Suitable mobile device for Linux

Scott D. Henning shenning at durango.net
Fri Mar 22 11:51:37 EDT 2013

Hello,

Isn't Android an overlay of Google code on Linux? So, Android is Linux,
but Google hides the Linux it operates on.

My reason to explore tablets is battery life and small size in a nice
package. It also pleases me to sidestep MS products. I am pretty green
in the Linux area, but tablets are running ARM processors, which is
different hardware and it may be that some Linux programs will need to
be adapted. There seems to be a lot of movement on the tablet platform
which can only be good for mobile blind users.

Speakup apparently can be placed in the ARM Linux  OS, so if the
bluetooth keyboard can operate on the command line, this would be useful
indeed. The size of a tablet and keyboard is still smaller than a
netbook and the battery life of the tablet is much longer. The keyboard
battery life is unknown to me, but it seems that the keyboard isn't
using much power, but the bluetooth RF does and maybe a USB keyboard is
better for longer run time.

I am still struck by the lack of native speech output from all Linux OS
systems. It would be like  leaving out video support. What does it
really take to embed native speech support? Yes, that was a rhetorical
question. Smile.

Scott