Suitable mobile device for Linux

Kirk Reiser kirk at reisers.ca
Thu Mar 21 11:45:03 EDT 2013

I don't know of one that is currently available and working.  Ubuntu
is supposed to be coming out with a mobile phone but whether it would
run speakup or not I couldn't say.

It is theoretically possible to compile and run speakup on any of the
Android phones.  The problem is how to handle the imput.  Without
being able to have reliable input, there's no way I can think of using
the screen review facilities of speakup.  Also, the current Android is
totally graphical so it wouldn't give you much if any output if you
did compile and run espeakup.  I'd be interested in pursuing the topic
and possibilities though if there were enough interest.

   Kirk

On Thu, 21 Mar 2013, Cleverson Casarin Uliana wrote:

> Dear,
>
> Does anyone know any smartphone or a device with a similar size on
> which it's possible to install Linux, or other desktop operating
> system, and use it with a screen reader? Some weeks ago, I have read
> that some guys had successfully ran Debian on a Sansung Galaxy Note
> II. Would it be possible to use some assistive technology like Speakup
> on it?
>
> Actually, I'm thinking of getting a new smartphone, probably with
> Android, but it would be cool if I could have a relatively small
> device to carry with me, whether a phone or not, on which I could
> accessibly use the same operating system I use regularly on my
> desktop, and ocasionally install and experiment with other stuff on
> it. Is there such a device on the market?
>
> Many thanks,
> Cleverson

Well that's it then, colour me gone!