speakup goes oops/bye-bye on wheezy

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Sun Jun 30 19:53:53 EDT 2013

covici at ccs.covici.com <covici at ccs.covici.com> wrote:
> I have never gotten pulse to work at all, I had to bypass it to get any
> audio in a text console.  If anyone knows more, I can post the details.

If you wanted to run some tests, I would suggest starting with paplay. It's
like aplay, except that it directs output to PulseAudio directly. For Alsa
applications, you need a configuration that directs output to PulseAudio.
Under Debian, at least, this is provided by default.

Note that Pulse is started when a D-Bus connection is made; you don't have to
invoke it as a daemon. There's a way to set it up to run as a system-wide
daemon as well, but I haven't tried that. Obviously this has security
implications on multi-user systems, i.e., one user can interfere with another
user's audio - not a problem on most workstations these days.