speakup goes oops/bye-bye on wheezy

Gregory Nowak greg at gregn.net
Sun Jun 30 14:28:31 EDT 2013

Well, good or not, I'm jumping on the work around bandwagon. I've had
enough of trying to work with something for two days which I frankly
see no need for (why break something which worked fine so far), and
for which I can find no satisfactory answers after spending about an
hour on google. Like others here, I moved /usr/bin/pulseaudio out of
the way, and touched a new one into place. I ran dpkg-divert on it
too, so debian won't try to helpfully replace my change. This means
that I now have mplayer working again, and all I have to do is to
figure out orca refusing to speak. I hate to say this about any free
software project, but frankly, I hope pulseaudio dies a quick and
quiet death. I certainly see no advantage to it over alsa.

Greg

On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 06:14:42PM +1000, Jason White wrote:
> I think it does exactly that by default. You can change the configuration
> however. You can also run pasuspender to suspend it, and there's a command
> under pacmd to suspend individual cards.
>
> In general, though, I think the right way to deal with Pulse is to work with
> it rather than against it by sorting out whatever the underlying problems are.
> I think there's enough talent within the accessibility and Linux audio
> communities to do this, but, so far, I haven't seen a good description of what
> the real issues are or what needs to be done.
>
> It seems that too many people are content with work-arounds and no one is
> doing the real work to track down the root causes and fix them. That's a real
> cause for concern, because in the long run it will only mean more problems for
> new and existing users. Pulse is here to stay.
>
> I have it working satisfactorily on my laptop and not quite satisfactorily on
> my desktop system. I submitted a patch to Debian to ensure that the Espeak
> package was compiled properly with Pulse support (previously, the Pulse
> support was being overwritten during the build process). There's an open
> Debian bug about problems with Pulse and Emacspeak speech servers.
>
> I'm also waiting for patches to be integrated into FreeSWITCH to support Pulse
> - there are people working on those already.
>
> Pacmd is an interesting tool. If there is active audio input/output, you can
> actually get a list of all the applications that are interacting with the
> Pulse server, and you can adjust the volume of the audio for each application.
> You can also move applications from one audio device to another, though I
> haven't experimented with that yet. There are many other features as well.
>
> The key to making Pulse work reliably is to make sure that nothing you're
> using tries to bypass it by writing directly to the Alsa devices.

web site: http://www.gregn..net
gpg public key: http://www.gregn..net/pubkey.asc
skype: gregn1