speakup goes oops/bye-bye on wheezy

Gregory Nowak greg at gregn.net
Sat Jun 29 17:38:36 EDT 2013

Jean,
it's a long time since I upgraded to squeeze/gdm3, and got it
talking. I do remember I found instructions on the web on how to do
it, but don't know the URL. As far as I recall (and I could be wrong),
I copied my user's .orca directory to /var/lib/gdm3/, and changed
ownership to debian-gdm.debian-gdm. I certainly did do that part, but
again don't recall if there was more to it or not. The best suggestion
I can give you is to google it.

The login with gdm3 speaks, but wasn't fully accessible in
squeeze. Fortunately, once you manage to play around, and choose the
user you want to login as, it remembers that. So, when the gdm3 login
comes up, all you have to do subsequently is to hit enter, type your
password, hit enter, and you're in.

Jason, how did you get everything working with pulse? I seem to be
almost there, but not quite. As far as I can tell, I'm getting a gdm
login on tty7, but no speech. I set pulse to start system wide (never
mind the recommendation not to). I added greg, and speech-dispatcher to
the pulse-access group. I also set speech-dispatcher to load at system
start.

I still can't figure out what user espeakup runs as, and get:

ALSA lib pulse.c:243:(pulse_connect) PulseAudio: Unable to connect:
Access denied

along with a bunch of other alsa messages when espeakup starts. Also, when
speech-dispatcher starts, and when I try to play a file with mplayer,
I get:

ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1018:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave

In the case of mplayer, I created a /home/greg/.asoundrc file, and put
in it:

pcm.dsp {
    type plug
    slave.pcm "dmix"
}

but that still doesn't help. Can anyone please tell me what I'm
missing with these?

Greg

On Sat, Jun 29, 2013 at 04:31:18PM +1000, Jason White wrote:

> On my laptop, it all just worked without any additional configuration. I have
> Speakup and Espeakup installed, as well as PulseAudio, which is configured (as
> is the default) as the default audio output destination in Alsa.
>
> I haven't seen any crashes or problems with this configuration. The sound card
> is an on-board Intel audio device.

web site: http://www.gregn..net
gpg public key: http://www.gregn..net/pubkey.asc
skype: gregn1