weird speakup or hardware bug?

Chris Brannon chris at the-brannons.com
Sat Jun 29 13:16:43 EDT 2013

Deedra Waters <deedra at the-brannons.com> writes:

> I'm not even sure where to begin. switching from arch to gentoo seems to
> have changed certain things like my ethernet now works?
>
> But, what's happening here is that for all of my consoles, speakup has
> the numlock as on and i have to change it before i can use speakup
> commands. Anyone seen this before?

I shouldn't let this thread dangle; we found a solution.
Basically, use setleds to set the current and default state of the
numlock at boot time.
There's a script to do this which is distributed with OpenRC on Gentoo.
But it sets the numlock, instead of clearing it.
I made a new script based on that one, but mine disables the numlock
instead.  If you're on Gentoo, you can put the following script in
/etc/init.d and add it to your boot runlevel.  Don't overwrite their
numlock script with it; give it a name of its own.

=== BEGIN SCRIPT ===
#!/sbin/runscript
description="Disable numlock for consoles"

ttyn=${rc_tty_number:-${RC_TTY_NUMBER:-12}}

depend()
{
	need localmount
	keyword -openvz -prefix -vserver -lxc