weird speakup or hardware bug?

D. Curtis Willoughby ka0vba at dimcom.net
Sat Jun 29 00:37:31 EDT 2013

The control of numlock is a bios option.  If your bios option is
off, then grub 1.99 (the latest grub in debian whezy, and probably
your distro too, can override the bios setting by adding keystrokes
to the keyboard buffer before starting the kernel.  In the info
for grub, look at set and key information.  Good luck!
D. Curtis Willoughby--ka0vba