external hard drive weirdness

Adam Myrow myrowa at bellsouth.net
Mon Jun 24 21:46:04 EDT 2013

I recently purchased a Seagate Backup+ 1TB USB external hard drive.  It
works perfectly if I connect it after Linux is booted, but if it is
plugged in when the computer first boots, it never gets recognized.
Linux produces an error containing "device descriptor read/all, error
-110."  I've searched Google for this error, but haven't found anything
about it.  The drive also is not seen by Windows unless it is plugged in
after the boot starts.  Before I assume the drive is defective, I wanted
to check if anybody else has ran into this.