need some accessible command-line tools

Doug Smith savant-technopath at cyber-wizard.com
Wed Jun 19 17:37:17 EDT 2013

Ok, here's the best answer I can give you.  As far as pdftotext, it is in the poppler-utils package.  I do not know of any kind of command line word
processor, but there is LaTeX, if that is the way you want to go.  I have never found any kind of good command line network management tool.  That is,
none of what I have tried has worked.  I have tried wicd-cli, but it refused to even allow the networks in this building to be scanned.  At this time,
I am using ifupdown suite to do this:

Each connection you have, make a copy of your /etc/network/interfaces for that connection, editing the critical data such as essid and password.  When
you are at a different location, and you know which connection works best do this:

ifdown wlan0; ifup -i file-for-working-connection wlan0

This uses dhclient to get the addresses and bind to connect it all up.  This is not anything like it's done in the gui world, but I have found no
network tool that will even work.  Nmcli, for example does not have all the functionality you might need unless someone knows how to use it, and that
might be of help.  I have never gotten wicd-cli to scan networks and that would help me a lot if that worked, but it doesn't.

Hope this helps.

--
Doug Smith: Special Agent
S.W.A.T  Spiritual Warfare and Advanced Technology