UPS backup musings

Igor Gueths igueths at lava-net.com
Mon Jun 17 11:51:23 EDT 2013

Hi Greg,
years ago I purchased an APC Back-UPS RS-1500, max output is around 875W/1500VA
and it will power what I currently have plugged into it for around 3 hours. This
particular unit also supports Apcupsd very well, lots of useful info can be
obtained with the apcaccess utility which simply queries the UPS for whatever
stats it is able to return. Now granted I did get an extra battery for it that
is currently connected, the regular unit with the inbuilt battery by itself
might run things for closer to two hours (just an estimate). Another interesting
thing that I have noticed via running Apcaccess is while you may have all the
outlets taken at any given time, the power that all those devices draw
cumulatively does not equal a steady 120V at any given time. For example, if I
recall I currently have my server, USB hard drive, Ethernet switch, wireless
access point, and perhaps a couple of other things plugged in, and apcaccess
will still report current load as being around the 10-14% range. Good luck
finding a unit!

--
Igor

believed to be clean.