Now I can't Keep Pulseaudio From Taking over Everything!

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Wed Jun 5 19:59:16 EDT 2013

Steve Holmes <steve at holmesgrown.com> wrote:
> Yea but, what if you want to use Gnome/Orca? Doesn't gnome require
> pulse these days? I got speech dispatcher to run using ALSA
> exclusively now and things seem to work ok on my laptop but my desktop
> is completely broken now when it comes to using Orca now. I can't seem
> to tell what may be different on one machine than the other but I have
> speech dispatcher configured identically on both systems.

I think Linux audio needs to be sorted out at some point - this whole Alsa and
PulseAudio business has generated more problem reports than I can count.

I think it would help if those experiencing the problems would start pushing
bug reports into the bug tracking systems of their distributions or the
relevant upstream projects. The reality is that, while discussing it on
mailing lists might provide you with a work-around, it won't improve the
software because the people who are working hard on the Linux audio
infrastructure aren't on this list (or the Orca list for that matter).

We need to start with well-crafted bug reports in the right places, preferably
followed up with patches.