ot memory allocation question

Brian Buhrow buhrow at nfbcal.org
Fri Jul 19 16:09:17 EDT 2013

	Hello.  A tty line discipline is a layer of code above the serial
driver that implements most of the common functions that all serial ports
support.  I'm more familiar with tty line disciplines in BSD than Linux,
but the tty line discipline, for example, is what allows you to log into a
terminal via ssh or telnet and use the same terminal based programs that
you do when you log in via a hard serial line.  It provides the terminal
processing you get when you press control characters, set line length and
row count parameters and the like.  A line discipline can be as complex as
the tty discipline, which is very sophisticated and has many features grown
over many years, or it can be a simple layer that simply passes buffers of
data up and down the tty stack to allow you to talk to the serial ports.
Examples of line disciplines are: the tty discipline already mentioned,
PPP, Tablet, SLIP and one for the old Metricom Metro radios called Strip
(Star Mode IP).  My guess is the easiest way to fix the serial port problem
is to write a simple tty discipline which mostly calls the internal
functions of the tty line discipline code so as to allow Speakup to
manipulate the underlying serial port in a way that it expects regardless
of the underlying serial port type, i.e. whether it's USB, a hard serial
line or a pseudo terminal that pumps characters over the net to a remote
speech synthesizer.

Hope that helps.
-Brian