speakup goes oops/bye-bye on wheezy

Gregory Nowak greg at gregn.net
Tue Jul 2 21:12:40 EDT 2013

Ok. So I got my fresh wheezy install done in another vm. Turns out
that gnome speaks, but isn't very talkative. What I mean is that for
example ctrl+alt+d gives no indication I'm on the desktop. Pressing
alt+f1 tells me I'm in a menu, but arrowing up/down/left/right gives
no speech. Doesn't matter, since I don't want to migrate to a fresh
install, I want to get this one working.

I did discover that pulse works in the fresh system, including
mplayer, so I cheated. I got rid of /etc/pulse in my upgraded vm, and
replaced it with the one from the fresh vm. I put the original
/usrbin/pulseaudio back into place, set mplayer to use pulse for
output, and rebooted. Mplayer seems to work now with no pulse issues.

Since I now know the gnome issues aren't virtualbox related, I ran
startx as greg on both virtual systems, and compared my
.xsession-errors. Turns out they're similar except for one
difference. On the upgraded system, my .xsession-errors shows this
repeatedly:

Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "gail-gnome"

I seem to have all the gail stuff installed though:

i A libgail-3-0                     - GNOME Accessibility
Implementation Library
i A   libgail-common                  - GNOME Accessibility
Implementation Library
i A libgail18                       - GNOME Accessibility
Implementation Library

I did some googling on this, but can't find anything specifically
related to gnome3, and 32-bit wheezy. If I could figure this out, I
can probably get gnome talking. Any thoughts?

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn..net
gpg public key: http://www.gregn..net/pubkey.asc