what vm solutions do people use

Gregory Nowak greg at gregn.net
Mon Jul 1 23:19:28 EDT 2013

I use both user-mode linux, and virtualbox. What I like about
user-mode linux are two things. First, it doesn't require extra
software on the host. You need utilities to get networking going, but
the actual virtual machine could be run by any user without getting
the admin involved. Second, I like the fact that I can take "physical"
consoles from the virtual machine, and attach each one to for example
the host's physical console in a screen session. I get the virtual
machine's output from start to shutdown via speakup on the host
(grin). My server is a user-mode linux machine, which makes it very
portable. I could probably run it from a grml live cd on the host if I
wanted to.

What I like about virtualbox is that I can use the same virtual
machine on a gnu/linux, windows, and probably mac host as well. As
long as I'm willing to create a new configuration if switching from a
windows to a gnu/linux host for example, the virtual hard drive stays
the same, and the guest operating system won't know it's running on a
different host os. Virtualbox does also support virtual machine
extensions as long as the host processor has that capability, and many
other features. The workstation I'm writing this on is a virtual
machine inside virtualbox.

Greg

On Tue, Jul 02, 2013 at 11:36:21AM +1000, Jason White wrote:
> I haven't tried it with Speakup, but I use KVM here. It supports virtualized
> audio devices if you specify the appropriate option when you start the VM.
>
> It also supports virtual braille displays, which can connect to a real display
> running on the host system.

web site: http://www.gregn..net
gpg public key: http://www.gregn..net/pubkey.asc
skype: gregn1