Pulse Audio (was Re: speakup goes oops/bye-bye on wheezy)

Gregory Nowak greg at gregn.net
Mon Jul 1 20:19:49 EDT 2013

Wow, setting the volume to zero is very helpful of pulseaudio /*
end sarcasm */. Anyway, going by my .xsession-errors, my post upgrade
issues don't seem to be volume related, at least not yet. I think they
might have to do with virtualbox, but am not sure yet. I'm installing
wheezy in another virtual machine as I write to see how things go with
gnome there, since reports on the web seem to be it works fine. If it
works in the fresh vm, then it's not virtualbox. If I get the same
thing in the new vm, then it's probably virtualbox. In that case, I
need to decide if I want to move over to the current 4.2.x release
tree, since I stay one major release behind.

If I can't figure out what's going on, I'll probably get on the orca
list, and post my .xsession-errors though I'm tempted to just post it
here and see if someone else here can tell me what's wrong without
getting onto yet another list. As far as I can tell, the x server is
coming up fine, gnome seems to be the problem. I'm running by using
startx BTW, I want to figure out gnome itself before I try to figure
out gdm. Who knows, when I solve the gnome issues, that may solve the
gdm problems too. I'll post back with progress, since at least one
person indicated interest.

Greg

On Mon, Jul 01, 2013 at 05:28:56PM -0500, Adam Myrow wrote:
> I'm not sure whether this will help, but I wanted to share my
> experience with Pulse Audio in Wheezy.  When I first upgraded from
> Squeeze, I had pretty much no sound from Pulse Audio.  I ran into
> many of the same things others described.  Thankfully, I have a
> Braille display.  With that, I was able to log into Gnome, and get
> into the volume controls.  They can be accessed from the menu you
> get by pressing alt-control-tab.  What I discovered was that Pulse
> was constantly setting my master volume to zero. I have no idea why.
> There is a control that just says "switch toggle button."  I hit
> space on that control, and it changed to "switch toggle button
> pressed."  I adjusted the master volume to an acceptable level, and
> Pulse has given me no trouble since.  I have no idea what the
> control actually does, but it sure did something.  I don't know how
> one would accomplish the same thing from the command line, but I
> figure there has to be a way.  I still can't play sound as root, but
> I don't consider that much of a loss.  I try to only use root for
> administrative tasks, so it's no big deal.  I hope this at least
> gives some ideas to everybody fighting with Pulse Audio.

web site: http://www.gregn..net
gpg public key: http://www.gregn..net/pubkey.asc
skype: gregn1