Pulse Audio (was Re: speakup goes oops/bye-bye on wheezy)

Adam Myrow myrowa at bellsouth.net
Mon Jul 1 18:28:56 EDT 2013

I'm not sure whether this will help, but I wanted to share my experience
with Pulse Audio in Wheezy.  When I first upgraded from Squeeze, I had
pretty much no sound from Pulse Audio.  I ran into many of the same things
others described.  Thankfully, I have a Braille display.  With that, I was
able to log into Gnome, and get into the volume controls.  They can be
accessed from the menu you get by pressing alt-control-tab.  What I
discovered was that Pulse was constantly setting my master volume to zero.
I have no idea why.  There is a control that just says "switch toggle
button."  I hit space on that control, and it changed to "switch toggle
button pressed."  I adjusted the master volume to an acceptable level, and
Pulse has given me no trouble since.  I have no idea what the control
actually does, but it sure did something.  I don't know how one would
accomplish the same thing from the command line, but I figure there has to
be a way.  I still can't play sound as root, but I don't consider that
much of a loss.  I try to only use root for administrative tasks, so it's
no big deal.  I hope this at least gives some ideas to everybody fighting
with Pulse Audio.