latex:accessible math

Littlefield, Tyler tyler at tysdomain.com
Tue Jan 22 19:50:44 EST 2013

hello all:
I'm sorry for the clearly off-topic question here, but I was hoping
someone might have some ideas.
I am responsible for homework in math class, and I have a couple
options; first would be to sit with someone 2 hours a day or more and
let them read mathlab, do the work, then read out everything so they can
put it all in.
This is clearly not the best solution since it takes the time I have to
do the problem plus double at least that much to get it all read and
put  in properly.
My next solution would be to set up latex so that I can create pdfs and
do the problems there.
I'm curious if anyone has had much luck with this. I started a document
in Latex and did some work with it, but when I convert with rubber it
does not work.
I'm also curious where a good starting point would be. Can I just
install latex and go to work with the homework? Do I need a ton of other
stuff?
Thanks,

--
Take care,