Speakup on the raspberry pi?

Tomi gt1991 at Gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 23:47:42 EST 2013

Kelly Prescott <kprescott <at> coolip.net> writes:

> Guys, I have compiled speakup for debian and arch on the pi.
> I am in the process of moving to a new apartment just now, so I cannot
> post my links, but I will write up a little howto and post the compiled
> modules early next week.
> I was going to do it earlier, but the holidays got me busy.
> Thanks.
> kp

Hi Kelly and others on this list,

I really, really hope this isn't too soon to re-post about this topic... I'm
just wondering if any progress has been made by anyone on making the Pi talk.
I've done a few experiments as per trying to reduce the pops made by the audio
device.

Also, why is this list so low traffic? It saddens me deeply! Has it moved to
another server?

Anyway. iIinstalled pulseaudio on the pi, thinking it would stop the crackles.
It really didn't because pulse goes through Alsa.
What's even weirder is that speech-dispacher can't seem to be able to speak
through  spd-say, but espeak talks just through the espeak command. I don't know
why this is, but I suspect it's a hardware thing. I've reconfigured speech
dispatcher, without much luck. I even got orca to run in the standard desktop,
but all I hear is a loud pop when it starts (alt+F2 still works to open a run
dialog in the desktop environment, so after apt-get gnome-orca one can blindly
run it). I suspect that this is because orca obviously passes stuff to speech
dispacher, which can't talk.

All the best,
Tomi