Mailbox management

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Tue Jan 15 02:50:36 EST 2013

I would suggest Thunderbird, but don't compress your old boxes.  I have
literally close to a million messages here dating back to 2005 in several
mailboxes.  I can easily manipulate them as I wish, such as what you
described.  At the start of the new submission period, create a new folder
for the next issue.  Dump all new messages into the new folder as you do
now.  When you get a revision that belongs in the old issue, just move it to
the folder for the previous submission period.  Note that while I'm saying
"folders," they are really mailboxes.  Thunderbird just calls them folders
for some reason.  Again, write off list and I can help you with this as it
looks like I have a similar setup to what you're trying to do.

I would like to note a few things here.  First, you don't need pop3
retrieval.  Just download the raw mailbox file.  Thunderbird will
automatically find and index it if you put it where the rest of your mail
folders are.  Second, something like getmail might be a solution as it
copies mail off the server into its own mailbox.  Finally, if you want a
console-based solution purely in Linux, Mutt should be able to do what you
want, but I don't know how to move messages between mailboxes.  With
Maildir, it's a little less hassle as you can just treat each message as a
single file instead of a huge mailbox.  I don't know of a way with any of
the above solutions that you can keep your mailboxes compressed.  Disk space
is cheap.  I used to compress my mailboxes, but not anymore.  Out of
curiosity, what's the magazine?  I would like to talk to you about running
it as I've thought about running one for a long time but I have no idea
what's involved and I don't want to take on a bigger project than I can handle.