creating a speakup cli cd

John G Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Thu Feb 7 11:26:08 EST 2013

I don't think I said I was ever against the use of oralux or vinus. I said projects tend to disappear when the person driving them stops working on them. But both oralux and vinux were great tools while they were supported. I haven't been following the current state of vinux but I've recommended it highly in the past. In fact, I would think it might be better to donate time to the vinux project than it is to start another live CD project. But as I said, I haven't kept up with vinux, it may already be a dead project for all I know.

I also didn't intend to say that people should not put out a customrescue  CD for the blind. In fact, I think I mentioned that I am toying with the diea of putting out a grml fork with the kernel patched to support hardware synths along with some other minor changes.

Also, I don't see the debian live CD and grml as a competition. To me, that's a win-win situation. Although, I'll admit I don't understand why you think it's easier to install espeakup for the debian CD and merely pressing q on the grml CD. For one thing, you can't install a package without an internet connection. The debian CD does have the advantage of having a 2.6 kernel so more hardware synths are supported. On the other hand, you could just use an older version of grml to get a 2.6 kernel. That's not that different than using a debian squeeze CD which is going to be obsolete soon. My opinion is that both disks are good tools depending on what your needs are.

It is true that grml tries to stick as closely to standard tools and packages. I'm on the grml developers email list and I know this to be a fact. They did change their focus about two years ago to be a live rescue disk rather than a distro you might install on your hard disk. I can't address your specific example but it might be that they wrote that tool before the change in focus or maybe there was no equivalent standard tool at the time.