creating a speakup cli cd

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Thu Feb 7 02:37:54 EST 2013

Yes, I've now read your wiki page.  I don't use GRML, but I found your page
interesting.  I have an issue with having to press "q" every time you boot.
  Inevitably, someone will forget to press it and wonder why your
instructions won't work.  I don't think recent releases played the tones for
me, but I think it was because my sound card was being muted.  This was a
known bug in Debian which is now fixed.  With the Squeeze live CD, here
would be a similar equivalent to your wiki page:

1. Put the Debian Squeeze live CD in your computer and boot.  You should
hear the CD drive spinning.  If not, you might need sighted help to change
your BIOS settings.

2. You'll land at a standard shell after about a minute.  To load hardware
speech, enter the following:

sudo modprobe speakup_ltlk

Replace "ltlk" with the code for your synthesizer.

3. Alternatively, if you know you'll be doing everything as root anyway:

sudo bash
modprobe speakup_ltlk

It comes with an ssh server automatically, but the password for root won't
be set and sshd will have to be started.  You can do both with speech after
the appropriate module is loaded.

For Wheezy, the above instructions apply, but neither Squeeze nor Wheezy
include the "espeak" and "espeakup" packages.  To work around this for now,
do the following:

sudo modprobe speakup_soft
sudo aptitude -y install espeakup

You might need to run "aptitude update" first.  You should eventually get
speech, assuming speakup_soft is loaded.

I guess it's just me, but that seems easier than trying to get out of the
quick help menu and hoping my sound card gets recognized.  Once the software
speech packages are included on the live CD, it would be even simpler since
a script could load speakup_soft and espeakup with one command.