creating a speakup cli cd

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Wed Feb 6 10:09:31 EST 2013

Have you seen the wiki entry I wrote on using the accessibility features
of grml?  Here is the link again:

http://wiki.iavit.org/index.php/Accessing_grml

I've been working on getting that into the grml wiki itself. It'll be
there soon.

It may be possible to improve on grml but I think it would be hard. Grml
just uses the standard speakup kernel modules and includes whatever
blind-friendly packages are available including espeakup and brltty. You
could build a live CD that loads the speakup_soft module by default and
automatically starts speech. But building the rest of the live CD is no
small feat. A lot of work goes into including all the right packages and
making sure the disk boots on almost al hardware. I wouldn't want to
take on that task. If I was going to build a live CD, I'd absolutely
start with grml and fix up a few things to make it easier for a blind
person. YMMV.

About five years ago, I used to put out a customized grml disk that
automatically loaded the speakup module for doubletalk synthesizer. I
made a couple of other minor changes too. But the standard grml disk has
worked so well for me lately that I just haven't found any reason to
bother making a custom CD.

Another drawback to making a disk customized for blind people is that
those projects tend to go away with time. Remember oralux?  That was a
great project. But when the person driving the project can't do it any
more, it tends to disappear. That could happen with grml but it is far
less likely. There are a lot of grml developers.

My humble opinion is that if you really want to hmake a difference, get
on the grml list  at Grml at ml.grml.org and contribute by testing and
offering feedback.