creating a speakup cli cd

Kirk Reiser kirk at reisers.ca
Tue Feb 5 16:11:33 EST 2013

I think wanting to create this type of CD is admirable, however, the
grml rescue disks already have these items as far as I know.  They are
designed as a rescue system and I have installed the last five or six
systems I've set-up with it.  I'm not quite sure what you could
provide that isn't already part of grml.  They have always been
accessibility friendly, right from their inception.

I'd suggest at least burning one and learning about them before you
redesign a wheel.  You could even get involved with helping them if
you find them useful.

Once you boot the most recent all you do is modprobe speakup_soft
after the beedley-bop sound it makes to let one know it is finished
booting and them type espeakup to start the speech output.  Very
simple.  I'm sure it's just as simple to start brltty.  Maybe even
easier.

On Tue, 5 Feb 2013, Don Raikes wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I am starting work on a project to make a Speakup-enabled livecd that will boot to the console.
>

> The cd will be based on ubuntu precise and will include Speakup, espeakup and brltty for accessibility.
>
> Are there special parameters I need to pass to the kernel at boot to activate Speakup at start?

Well that's it then, colour me gone!