Debian installation with a hardware synth for speakup

Scott D. Henning shenning at durango.net
Wed Dec 11 15:21:06 EST 2013

Hi,

OK. Sounds like you have this dialed. What does network install mean? Is
that the install that downloads all the packages after the core is
installed from CD or USB? That sounds like the install I have done over
the last few days. All is well, except speakup does not work when
returning to the console after Gnome loads. Oddly, it did work on the
first install. I did the install a second time to use a different drive
and experiment with RAID. I did only the console for the second try to
speed the download up. Speakup worked there, but on a third install to
abandon RAID because I really did not understand the choices and when I
disconnected the primary drive the machine did not boot, so I concluded
I did not know enough to make RAID work. Then a fourth install, again
speakup worked until the reboot and until Gnome loaded. It is also
impossible to stop speakup with the number pad enter key during any
consequent boot, despite speakup responding to this during install. I
see more study in my future. Smile. And I planning to try my accent
hardware synth, too.

Let us know how your proceed, the posts here have helped bme begin to
untangle Linux.

Scott

--
Scott D. Henning