Speakup-enabling recovery or administrative distributions

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Tue Dec 3 02:04:00 EST 2013

Whenever I've needed to fully wipe a hard drive for whatever reason, I
work out to bring it up unmounted. These days that's as simple as
dropping it into my usb drive caddy that lives just to the right edge of
my desk.

Then I just run 'badblocks -w' on the device. It takes a long time,
butthe disk is fully overwritten with random nonesense.

I've actually done this with mounted drives. Amazingly, Speakup
continues to function for quite a long time--even to seeing the prompt
return. Running a command would crash the system, of course.

Janina