Speakup-enabling recovery or administrative distributions

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Mon Dec 2 12:48:27 EST 2013

Grml has a tool for remastering itself.  The tool is called grml-live. I
have never used it myself. I used to release  a customized version of
grml that came up talking if you had a doubletalk LT attached to your
system. I haven't done that for years. But I keep intending to put out a
custom grml that comes up talking via software speech. I just haven't
had time. I would do this only if I could figure out a way to
proceduralize it so that I could run a script with each new grml
release. I figure if I can't do that, then grml is broken.  Anyway, if
you give grml a try and  build a custom version, let me know.

On 12/01/13 22:51, Techswing33 wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions. I've got a lot more
> information than I did.
>
> What I'm thinking is getting each original distro via iso, mounting it
> via loopback, then copying it out to read/write media. I then can make
> whatever startup changes needed, and if needed chroot in to it and
> install any needed packages/compile any needed kernels.
>
> Is this correct so far? If it is, how then do I remaster this it would
> be a directory on host system in to an iso?
>
> Thanks.
> Dave.
>

> On 12/1/13, John G. Heim <jheim at math.wisc.edu> wrote:
>> Have you heard of grml? Grml (pronounced gremel) is a lot like system rescue
>> CD but it supports software speech and has some other accessibility
>> features. You do need to load the speakup_soft module and run espeakup after
>> the system boots. But it helps you to know when to type the commands by
>> beeping. It also has built in braille support.
>>
>> Scent fwom my ipood`
>>
>> On Dec 1, 2013, at 3:43 PM, Techswing33 <techswing33 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'm wanting to use Speakup/Espeakup to enable speech in what are for
>>> me now inaccessible circumstances.
>>>
>>> The first is when using a distro for secure wiping a hard disk called
>>> Derick's Boot and Nuke, DBAN. I've got a bunch of drives in both
>>> personal and professional capacity that I need to securely erase prior
>>> to sending them out.
>>>
>>> The second circumstance is to enable speech on a distro called System
>>> Rescue CD, for doing low level tasks on various Linux and Windows
>>> boxes, resetting or clearing passwords, backing up partition
>>> configurations, comes immediately to mind.
>>>
>>> I'd like to remaster both of these distros, DBAN, and System Rescue
>>> CD, with Speakup included. My emphasis will be software speech with
>>> espeakup because I do not have a hardware synthesizer, so integrating
>>> audio support would also be essential.
>>>
>>> If anyone has done this i'd appreciate any help/pointers.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>> Dave.