new TalkingArch is here

Chris Brannon chris at the-brannons.com
Fri Aug 9 16:30:23 EDT 2013

Christopher Moore <chris.w1gm at gmail.com> writes:

> Also I can't boot from USB media.  I get the 30 second waiting for
> device error.  It's trying to mount a loopback device very early in
> the boot process.  I've seen this before but can't remember how to fix
> it. I created the stick by copying the arch directory and installing
> syslinux on it and adding the syslinux mbr.

The correct way to create a bootable USB stick for BIOS-based systems is
with dd.  Just use dd to write the ISO image to the stick:
dd if=my-image.iso of=/dev/path-to-my-stick.
Don't write to a partition, write to the raw stick.  For example, use
/dev/sdb, not /dev/sdb1.

The instructions are a bit different for UEFI based systems.
If you have UEFI, I'd advise looking at the UEFI-related articles in the
Arch Wiki.

-- Chris