Screen help

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Mon Apr 1 01:20:49 EDT 2013

On 3/31/2013 1:26 AM, Kerry Hoath wrote:
> Control a DD will power-detach,
> exit screen and kill the parent shell does that help?

I'll try that, but that isn't what I want.  I just want to use ^D as normal
to log out.  I don't need to detach most of the time.

> Having screen launch for every user in /etc/bash_profile might work but will
> fail for anyone who ever needs an 8-bit clean terminal connection for sz or
> kermit or rsync usage. You'll have to work around that for users that want
> to rsync.

I'm the only user here and I don't give out shell accounts on my local
machine, so I'm not worried about it.  I didn't have a problem with rsync.

> I set
> screen -R
> in my .bash_profile for each user I want screen loaded for.
>

> To have screen create a new session if you don't have one or reattach to a
> currently attached session
> screen -d -R

Yes, I'll try that.  That would reattach if a session is opened which is
what I want.

> You might also want the following added to the system screenrc or your user
> .screenrc
>
> startup_message off
> vbell off
> nethack on
>
> Okay the Nethack is just for a bit of fun.

What does the nethack option do?  I have the other lines already there.  I'm
familiar with the nethack game and I think I saw the option referenced
somewhere, but I'm not sure what the point of it is.