speakup todo?

Kyle kyle4jesus at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 07:15:37 EDT 2012

I just thought of another userspace example. Have a look at Brltty. I
believe it is portable to other OS's such as the BSD's, and as far as I
know, it requires no specialized kernel code. At least on Linux, it can
start as a system daemon fairly early in the boot process, allowing
access to all virtual consoles on the system. Brltty also doesn't depend
on a subshell in order to have full functionality. So Brltty and SBL are
currently the best to look at to determine whether or not it would be
possible to make something like Speakup run in userspace, while
hopefully remaining kernel agnostic. Having said this, I realize that
SBL may not necessarily be kernel agnostic, but I do believe that Brltty
is, and therefore it could be a great model to use as a userspace base.
~Kyle