speakup on the Raspberry Pi

Jason Miller hobbgoblin79 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 16:31:07 EDT 2012

I've tried working with it, playing MP3s and WAV files and such, and I
get a click in the console with it. It starts to click as if the audio
driver is initializing, and then after the sounds as if is shutting
itself down. I dunno, this is a common problem it seems with playing
sound in the console.

I think the new Pi board, the model b with 512MB of RAM instead of the
older 256 has fixed some of these issues. It's supposed to have
different things soldered into the board along the sound hardware paths,
with different capacitors and such. Don't know about that for sure though.

One of the issues I found building speakup modules into this thing is
that the /modules/KERNEL/build folder hasn't existed on the older
Raspbian images to be used, and until now, still has issues I think.
Going to try starting over with the latest Raspbian images though and
we'll see.

Jason Miller

Jason Miller