yasr with speakup keystrokes ?

pj at pjb.com.au pj at pjb.com.au
Mon May 21 02:46:21 EDT 2012

Greetings :-)   I wrote:
> Wouldn't it be possible to make a version of yasr
> with the speakup keystrokes? preferably using the keypad
> but at least with the laptop keybindings ?
> I'd love to be able to run speakup in xterms, for example...

Brian Buhrow replied:
> What you want is even easier than you think, assuming I
> understand what you're asking for. Yasr has the ability to remap
> all of its keys using the .yasr.conf file in your home directory.

Aha! yes, this is what I needed.  In the manual the default
config file is /usr/local/share/yasr/yasr.conf, but on debian
it's in /etc/yasr/yasr.conf . I'll try to devise some useable
mapping (has no-one done it before?) and then make it available.

The main problems are that speakup uses
1) some keys (like caps-lock in laptop-mode) which don't by
 themselves emit any character (but keypad-insert emits \e[2~ !),
2) and some keys (like keypad+ and keypadEnter) which emit the
 same character as their non-keypad equivalents,
but it should be possible to choose some mixture of laptop
keys and keypad keys which does a reasonable job...

Thank you Brian for giving me the right clue.

Regards,  Peter Billam

http://www.pjb.com.au      pj at pjb.com.au     (03) 6278 9410
"Follow the charge, not the particle."  --  Richard Feynman
 from The Theory of Positrons, Physical Review, 1949