Anyone thought about raspberry pie?

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Sun Mar 4 01:11:19 EST 2012

Robert cole  <speakup at braille.uwo.ca> wrote:
>Jason,
>
>Sorry to divert this, but I have read about you writing your thesis
>using LaTeX on the Orca list in the past. I was always curious and
>wanted to ask you what resources you used to learn LaTeX. I've been
>working to learn both vi and Emacs, and I think I would rather use LaTeX
>than a GUI word processor for different projects.

There are many good resources on the Web. I learned LaTeX in the late 90s when
there weren't so many excellent online sources. Here is one of the newer
online books:
http://latex.silmaril.ie/formattinginformation/
and if you want a reference:
http://home.gna.org/latexrefman/
and I've found parts of the LaTeX wikibook useful:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX

There are editor extensions for LaTeX in both Emacs and Vim, which can make
your task even easier. Simple documents are easy and complicated documents are
possible.
>As far as the Raspberry Pi goes, I am definitely planning on getting one
>(or more, if possible) when they are offered with cases. It is so
>wonderful to see all of these nice flashy Linux systems coming out.
>
>Although the price is out of range for me right now, I'd like to get my
>hands on a KDE Plasma Active powered Spark tablet [1] one of these days.
>this looks like a very promising device, especially as KDE is seeming to
>become more accessible thanks to QT-AT-SPI, Orca, and all of the other
>projects which are  being developed. This is definitely getting exciting!

It is indeed, and I expect it to become more so over time. KDE is the first
Linux desktop project to have an arrangement with a hardware developer, but
Gnome, and probably also Unity are interested in tablets and other mobile
devices. LWN have published very good articles on this topic and I would
recommend them as the best source of news and commentary related to Linux.
http://lwn.net/