hardware or software synths

acollins at icsmail.net acollins at icsmail.net
Mon Jul 23 07:46:18 EDT 2012

Hi.  It would probably be easier and less expensive to go with a
software synth.  The reason is that finding machines that have isa
serial ports these days is almost imposible, and speakup as of right now
does not work with either pci or usb serial ports.  Espeak is a software
synth that comes with most Linux distroibutions, and is easy to use.
And of course, the price is right.  I don't know if the Braille Note
emulates either the Keynote Gold, or some other supported synth.  My
guess is probably not.  If you can find a machine with standard isa
serial ports, then probably a litetalk, a Braille 'n Speak, or a Dectalk
Express would be good hardware choices.

Gene Collins