serial ports

Kirk Reiser kirk at braille.uwo.ca
Thu Jul 12 20:52:20 EDT 2012

Um, I'm not quite sure what you are talking about.  I have purchase
five computers over the past year and every single one of them had
serial ports on the motherboard.  They were all different
manufacturers as well.  None of them had the connector brought out to
the back panel but that is a $4.00 part and is easily installed.  My
experience has been more boards have them than not.

On Thu, 12 Jul 2012, Kyle wrote:

> Sadly for Speakup and hardware synthesizers, it is nearly impossible, if not completely so, to find a motherboard with a serial port. I haven't seen such a board in several years, and the serial port is not likely to make a comeback. If you can indeed still find a card with a serial port, it should work with Speakup. Otherwise, about the only option these days is a USB to serial converter, and sadly, Speakup doesn't like these. A side note, Speakup can use eSpeak to provide software speech, so this is an option if you can't find a working serial port solution.
> ~Kyle
> --
> Kyle is a droid.
> The whole world knows it