serial ports

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Thu Jul 12 20:43:37 EDT 2012

Glenn  <glennervin at gmail.com> wrote:
>How does a serial port give access to the BIOS?

Some systems have serial console access to the BIOS, which emulates a VT100
terminal over the serial line.

What I am discussing here is BIOS over LAN rather than over serial port, which
requires IPMI 2.0 and can be accessed with ipmitools.
>I knew that if you have an embosser with a synth built-in, you could do a
>print screen in BIOS, and hear what is on the screen, but I did not know
>that there is a way to the BIOS via the serial port.

Well, it requires a BIOS written to support serial access. Those are available
on certain machines.