Installing orca and making it play nice with Speakup

Littlefield, Tyler tyler at tysdomain.com
Thu Jan 26 16:51:11 EST 2012

Hello all:
I have a couple of questions, most of which is just clarification.
I am really interested in making a sort of live cd, as well as something
that could be installed for both GUI and cli usage. I'm bouncing between
arch and Debian, but I think all of these questions apply.

First, I know there is a lot of trouble making speakup and orca work
together, for example with audio. If I understand this right, pulse
works through Alsa. Is there a way that Speakup could just be designated
to work with Alsa, or perhaps Espeakup could be modified to work with
Pulse, then everything could run happily through Pulse. How have you all
handled this in the past?

My other issue is setting up the live cd/installer. I know about
squashfs, which is used on a lot of live/installation cds. How hard is
something like this to get going? I remember a project a while back--I
think I looked into it when I was trying to help Vinux, but from what I
remember it died off. What sorts of tools are used for the installers
and just the live cd creation in general?

--

Take  I know there are changes that need to be made, like making it just jump you to a root prompt rather than requiring you to log in on a live cd.
care,

Sent from my toaster.