Pa_OpenStream : err=-9999 (Unanticipated host error)

pj at pjb.com.au pj at pjb.com.au
Sun Jan 8 17:20:36 EST 2012

Kerry Hoath wrote:
> You need to either have an asound.conf to override the default
> order of soundcards or you need to pass the snd-index option to
> alsa so hda shows up as card 0.
> I put something like this in my modules files years ago:
>  options snd-da-intel snd-index=0

I tried, in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf,
  options snd_hda_intel index=0
but that failed at boot-time with
  [2.375487] usb 3-1: Product: Keystation 49e
  [2.782508] usb 3-2: Product: ProKeys Sono 88
  [5.496058] cannot find the slot for index 0 (range 0-1), error: -16
  [5.496129] hda-intel: Error creating card!
  [5.496174] HDA Intel: probe of 0000:00:1b.0 failed with error -16

so I tried the other way round, to lower the slot-priority of
the usb module; you can find out which module is involved by
  cat /proc/asound/modules
with the MIDI-kbd switched off and then switched on and noting
the difference; it's the snd_usb_audio module.  So I added a
  options snd-usb-audio index=-6
line. I tried index=-2 and even index=-4 but they weren't enough.
But -6 works :-)

> do check this in the alsa docs because I can't remember dashes
> or underscores.

man modprobe.conf  reckons:
  Note that module and alias names (like other module names) can
  have - or _ in them: both are interchangable throughout all the
  module commands as underscore conversion happens automatically.

grump {
  I don't understand why it was ever considered desirable to
  write raw audio data to a MIDI device.  The advantage of USB
  was supposed to be that each device clearly announces itself
  and its requirements.  Maybe I should be thankful that it
  doesn't write raw audio data to the raw disc devices.
}

Regards,  Peter Billam

http://www.pjb.com.au      pj at pjb.com.au     (03) 6278 9410
"Follow the charge, not the particle."  --  Richard Feynman
 from The Theory of Positrons, Physical Review, 1949