Pa_OpenStream : err=-9999 (Unanticipated host error)

pj at pjb.com.au pj at pjb.com.au
Thu Jan 5 17:52:23 EST 2012

Greetings...

Tyler Spivey wrote:
> My first thought? Alsa is thinking your keyboard is the default
> sound card. If you do aplay file.wav, does it play the file?

I rebooted with the USB MIDI kbds switched on, then Alt-F2
and logged in, then  aplay file.wav  produces only silence.
So then I ran  alsamixer  and it said:
  Card: ProKeys Sono 88     <== but this is a MIDI kbd!
  Chip: USB mixer
and displayed an almost completely blank screen (just a "PCM"
fader). So then when I pressed  F6  to select sound card,
it offered me these options:
  0  ProKeys Sono 88
  1  Keystation 49e    <== this is my other MIDI kbd
  2  HDA Intel         <== my sound card :-)
  3  Roland XV-2020    <== a USB MIDI synth
  4  VirMIDI           <== an ALSA straight-through MIDI client

David Csercsics wrote:
> You get that error anytime you try to speak through a device
> whose sample rate is not a multiple of 48000 hz it's a weird
> dmix bug that portaudio triggers.

My theory:  portaudio confuses MIDI devices with audio devices,
and therefore (since they don't have any sample rate at all)
provokes this dmix bug.  If this theory is true, then even if
there were no dmix bug, portaudio would still fail to produce
sound if I reboot with a MIDI kbd switched on...

Thanks for your help,
Regards,  Peter Billam

http://www.pjb.com.au       pj at pjb.com.au      (03) 6278 9410
"Was der Meister nicht kann,   vermöcht es der Knabe, hätt er
 ihm immer gehorcht?"   Siegfried to Mime, from Act 1 Scene 2