Pa_OpenStream : err=-9999 (Unanticipated host error)

pj at pjb.com.au pj at pjb.com.au
Thu Jan 5 02:38:29 EST 2012

Greetings,

I've been meeting this bug for a while, but I've just worked
out what triggers it. When booting, if my USB MIDI-keyboard is
switched on while booting, then when speech _ought_ to start,
then for every character which ought to be spoken on the console,
I get about 100 lines of error messages, sort of like this:

Expression 'PaAlsaStreamComponent_DetermineFramesPerBuffer( &self->
playback, outputParameters, framesPerUserBuffer, sampleRate, hwParamsPlayback, &
accurate )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 1828
                                                                    Expression '
PaAlsaStream_DetermineFramesPerBuffer( self, realSr, inParams, outParams, frames
PerUserBuffer, hwParamsCapture, hwParamsPlayback, hostBufferSizeMode )' failed i
n 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 1870
                                                Expression 'PaAlsaStream_Configu
re( stream, inputParameters, outputParameters, sampleRate, framesPerBuffer, &inp
utLatency, &outputLatency, &hostBufferSizeMode )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa
_linux_alsa.c', line: 1988
                          wave_open_sound > Pa_OpenStream : err=-9999 (Unanticip
ated host error)
                Expression 'snd_pcm_hw_params_set_period_size_near( self->pcm, h
wParams, &framesPerHostBuffer, &dir )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa
.c', line: 1616
               Expression 'PaAlsaStreamComponent_DetermineFramesPerBuffer( &self
->playback, outputParameters, framesPerUserBuffer, sampleRate, hwParamsPlayback,
 &accurate )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 1828
                                                                      Expression
 'PaAlsaStream_DetermineFramesPerBuffer( self, realSr, inParams, outParams, fram
esPerUserBuffer, hwParamsCapture, hwParamsPlayback, hostBufferSizeMode )' failed
 in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 1870
                                                  Expression 'PaAlsaStream_Confi
gure( stream, inputParameters, outputParameters, sampleRate, framesPerBuffer, &i
nputLatency, &outputLatency, &hostBufferSizeMode )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/
pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 1988

and so on and on and on.  Fortunately I can Alt-F2 and log in as
root in order to reboot (no sound of course). If I switch the USB
midi-keyboard off before it reboots, then it reboots correctly.
I'm no kernel person and hopefully you all have more idea what
this means than I do...

Regards,  Peter Billam

http://www.pjb.com.au       pj at pjb.com.au      (03) 6278 9410
"Was der Meister nicht kann,   vermöcht es der Knabe, hätt er
 ihm immer gehorcht?"   Siegfried to Mime, from Act 1 Scene 2