Building PC without any sight (wasRE: still more on bug)

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Tue Feb 14 20:00:32 EST 2012

Hello,
The main places where I have needed sighted support in building a PC is
connecting the front panel connectors (eg. power button, power LED, HDD LED,
possibly USB headers, etc). Normally the front panel connectors do not have
shaped plugs which only allow them to be connected to the correct pins.
About all other connectors only fit in the places where they should go. The
only possible exception might be SATA and memory connections and this isn't
something where it doesn't work but just a loss of performance. If the board
has SATA 3GBps and 6GBps ports like intel based boards do then if you have a
SSD you may connect it to the slower SATA connection. In theory there is
nothing wrong with that, but if you have gone to the expense of a SSD you
probably want to use it at the maximum speed it can work at. With the
memoryt connectors many modern PCs expect pairs of memory in specific
connectors and these are colour coordinated, getting it wrong possibly won't
make it not work, but rather will just mean you won't get the full
performance capable of the system.

Michael Whapples