Speakup broken with kernel 3.4.x (ArchLinux users please read)

Kyle kyle4jesus at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 11:19:36 EST 2012

I don't think this was the problem we had, although this may have been
fixed also. I don't have a serial port on this box, so I can't test with
my kernel.

The problem that affected 3.4 kernels apparently had something to do
with something called spinlock or some such. It caused Speakup to lock
the entire system whenever a speakup-related key on the numeric keypad
was pressed. It didn't affect keypadless laptops, only desktops and
laptops with the numeric keypad. This is the bug that was fixed in the
3.6 kernel tree, although I believe a patch may have been submitted for
serial synths as well. Not sure though.
~Kyle
http://kyle.tk/
--