Hardware for new Linux installs?

Jayson Smith ratguy at insightbb.com
Wed Dec 5 20:20:22 EST 2012

Hi,

My Linux box decided last night would be a wonderful time to go to that
great computer center in the sky. I was sitting here last night and the
thing suddenly powered down, and won't power back up. Probably either a PSU
or mobo blown. Time to upgrade anyhow, since I've had this box since 2005.
Fortunately, when the Linux box went up to Linux box heaven, it didn't take
the hard drive along for the ride, and I've already backed up all my data.

What I need to know is, what kinds of systems are people using these days
for new Linux installs? I don't want to try to migrate my old system over to
new hardware, since it was a hopelessly outdated Gentoo install. I probably
wouldn't go with Gentoo again anyway. So what minimum hardware requirements,
what distro? I'd love to play around with a GUI, but I absolutely can't
stand Espeak! The GUY doesn't work with hardware synths, right? What about
newer kernels and serial ports? If I do go with a GUI, is there any way to
get Eloquence for it? Is anyone selling pre-built Linux systems for blind
folks?
Thanks for any help!
Jayson