using the s shortcut to bring up software speech in Wheezy

Al Sten-Clanton albert.e.sten_clanton at verizon.net
Sun Apr 15 10:38:28 EDT 2012

Greetings!

In a recent message, Samuel Thibault wrote, "s is not a boot parameter,
it's boot menu shortcut, which passes
speakup.synth=soft"

I decided on Friday that I'd like to try using Wheezy.  I created a CD from

debian-testing-i386-netinst.iso.

at

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/daily/arch-latest

On booting, I had no trouble that I remember bringing up hardware
speech.  In case I may need it for another computer, I 	tried using the
"s" shortcut to get software speech.  It didn't work.  Or, maybe it's
more precise to say I heard nothing, in case the problem is the muted
sound card hassle I've had before.  Is that shortcut supposed to work
with the Wheezy image I used, or is there a specialized image for that use?

Thanks!

Al