tools for moving partitions

pj at pj at
Sun Sep 4 23:50:35 EDT 2011

Christopher Moore wrote:
> I have a drive with 4 partitions with a large gap between 2 and 3.
> I want to move 3 and 4 to the left so I can create some extended
> partitions at the end of the drive.
> I've read that gparted can do the job, but it's a graphical tool.

If gparted can do it, then parted should also be able to do it.
man parted  reveals that one of its available commands is  move:
  move partition start end
    Move  partition  so  that  it begins at start and ends
    at end.  Note: move never changes the minor number.

I agree with you about graphical tools :-)

Regards,  Peter Billam       pj at      (03) 6278 9410
"Was der Meister nicht kann,   vermöcht es der Knabe, hätt er
 ihm immer gehorcht?"   Siegfried to Mime, from Act 1 Scene 2

More information about the Speakup mailing list