More of the problem with starting speakup

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Fri Oct 14 14:00:07 EDT 2011

What do you bet Pulse Audio might be to blame here? When I use
software speech, I use the softsynth module and I have ALSA as my
sound system.  When GNOME 3 came out, it forced the use of Pulse Audio
in that environment.  I've since then commented everything out in
/etc/alsa.conf so that none of the Pulse modules would load.  Speakup
has always worked for me for several years.

I'm also an Arch user.